From hundreds of hopefuls who tried their luck during the screening for Miss Cebu 2013 last October 17 and 24, 2012, no less than twelve finalists were chosen to be the official candidates that will compete for the most coveted title.
The twelve Miss Cebu 2013 “beauty and brain packed in one” finalists started their first workshop on November 7, 2012, at the Castle Peak Hotel this city. They will undergo more training and workshops facilitated by the Cebu City Tourism Commission.
During the media presentation and press conference held at the November 19, 2012, at the Cebu City Marriott Hotel, the candidates were officially revealed.
Cebu City Mayor Michael Lopez Rama in his message said that the Miss Cebu competition would make the contestants already winners even before the pageant because of the experiences, workshops and training given to them. “It is one peculiarity of Miss Cebu that we don’t want audience to see just the body that is why there is no swimsuit wear competition, but the completeness of a true Cebuana,” the Mayor underscored.
The twelve Miss Cebu 2013 candidates are the following:
- Maraon, Marie Ann G. “Ann” (23), University of San Carlos – BS Nursing, from Tigbao, Talamban, Cebu City
- Llamada, Therese Christine E. “Timay” (19), University of Cebu (Banilad) – BS Nursing, from Guizo, Mandaue City
- Alcarez, Janessa Fe M. “Jan” (21), Cebu Normal University – BS Nursing, from Talisay City
- Dy, Jehanne Frances R. “Jeh” (22), University of San Carlos – BS Architecture, from Labangon, Cebu City
- Velasquez, Marivee Ann C. “Mavu” (20), Cebu Normal University – BS Psychology, from Hernan Cortes St., Mandaue City
- Nonol, Reinalyn A. “Rein” (23), University of San Carlos – BS Nursing, from Lapu-Lapu City
- Estuart, Patricia Ann T. “Trish” (21), University of San Carlos – BS Interior Design, from Banilad, Cebu City
- Murjani, Namrata Neesha L. “Neesh” (19), Cebu Doctor’s University – Biology, from Labangon, Cebu City
- Angcon, Ely Rose Apple S. “Apple” (21), University of Cebu (Banilad) – BSN, from Lilo-an, Cebu
- Gigante, Maria S. “Yang” (19), University of San Carlos – BS Philosophy, from Bacayan, Cebu City
- Barro, Maebelle Erica C. “Erica” (21), University of San Carlos – BS Nursing, from Gairan, Bogo City
- Goyenechea, Mary Lorens V. “Lorens” (18), Cebu Doctor’s University – Dentistry, from Talisay City, Cebu
Miss Cebu celebrates its twenty-ninth year as a pageant that continues to present to the world the true beauty of a Cebuana. It is an annual beauty-and-brain pageant that is the official search for the representative or spokesperson of the city. Moreover, the coronation night will be one of the highlights for the Cebu annual Sinulog Festival celebration.
The Miss Cebu 2013 pre-pageant night will be on January 13, 2013, 7:30 p.m. at the Ayala Activity Center, Ayala Center Cebu, and the grand coronation night is scheduled on January 16, 2013, 7:00 p.m. at the Pacific Grand Ballroom of Waterfront Cebu City Hotel and Casino, in Lahug. The following is an official press release about Miss Cebu 2013:
(CEBU CITY PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE) – The twelve Miss Cebu 2013 candidates visited Cebu City Hall Thursday afternoon, November 15, 2012, and had a chance to meet Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama through a courtesy call.
The finalists, who were presented officially to the media on November 20, 2012, 3 p.m. at Marriott Hotel, introduced themselves to the mayor one by one as hopefuls of winning the crown and who will be chosen as the spokesperson for the Queen City of the South.
Upon hearing their background and chosen advocacy, Mayor Rama urged the official candidates not to hide their individual talents, to learn from it then master it before it is taken away from them.
“You should grow together holistically because at the end of the day, it is not just about physical beauty,” he said.
The mayor shared his vocation of public service, which is to help others and his experience in running the city government. He is also glad that the candidates are aware of the local issues involving the community such as the building of certain infrastructures that are not even needed and proper waste disposal.
Coronation night for Miss Cebu 2013 is scheduled on January 16, 2013, at the Pacific Grand Ballroom of Waterfront Hotel and Casino, Lahug, Cebu City. (Gessa Gunhuran, PIO Staff)
For more information about Miss Cebu 2013 and the online voting (powered by Cebu Interactive Design, or iDesign), you can go to the Web page http://www.cebucitytourism.com/misscebu2013/ and you may follow Miss Cebu on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/misscebupageant) for updates.