Everything Cebu aims to give back to our fellow Cebuanos and to provide assistance to those who wish to visit Cebu. In this line, we are giving you a few reminders in case you want to try joining a Filipino dating site.
In this era, one of the easiest ways to meet people and establish relationships is through online dating. The number of people who are joining dating sites increases every day. The lucky ones successfully find their matches, build a happy family and have blissful lives. On the other hand, there are those who end up being preys of scammers. The online dating community is suffering because it is hard to determine if the person you’re communicating with is real or not.
Targets of Scammers
The elderly people are believed to be soft-hearted and eager to share their money in return for romantic love and attention. Divorced, separated or widowed people are also easy targets of online dating fraudsters because the ordeal of losing their partner sometimes leaves them defenseless to online scams. There are scammers who admit that people with weight problems are about the easiest targets to scam because those who can’t accept their weight have a tendency to feel insecure. Some perpetrators feel that those who have low self-esteem are the most gullible. Since these people are timid in real life because of some personal issues, they tend to give in to advances online. People who are lonely tend to be victimized by scammers because they are likely to give signs that they are in need of some form of company. Those who join dating sites because of sex are also a target of scammers. In exchange for money, scammers will show “their” nude pictures or sex videos and promise to engage in mind-blowing sexual acts when they meet.
As common sense tells us, prevention is in most cases preferable to remedy, so protecting yourself from scammers is vital. Someone you’ve met through a dating Web site could be trying to scam you if…
- His or her profile photo looks professionally airbrushed. If you use Google’s search by image drag-and-drop, you could probably find it on a modeling Web site.
- You observe discrepancies between the appearance of the person in the profile photo and the physical characteristics he or she claims to have. A guy might claim he’s a Native American, but the profile photo shows a Caucasian.
- The height and weight given in the profile are wildly disproportionate. For instance, a male scammer might claim he’s six feet tall and he weighs ninety-eight pounds.
- He or she wears a wedding ring in the profile photo but claims to be not married. Again, this may be the result of appropriating models’ photos found on the Internet.
- Straight off, the person wants to communicate with you on instant messaging or IM. However, a scammer is often not around to chat on IM during the weekends. They tend to use IM at unusual hours for your time zone. You can be even more suspicious when your prospective date’s profile apparently vanishes from the dating Web site when you’ve started talking one-on-one through IM. On trustworthy online dating sites like CebuHeart.com, this is unlikely to happen though.
- The personal details this person gives you while you two are on IM do not match up with the details of his or her profile on the dating site. Often, the birthday, height/weight, or age could be different.
- He or she continually misspells the name of his or her own town/city. When asked about the local landmarks or attractions, he or she is unfamiliar with them. If a scammer claims he’s American, he often would not know how to answer questions that actual American citizens easily could.
If you have been a victim of an online dating scam, do not think that your case is entirely hopeless. You should make the effort in reporting it. When you report to the proper authorities and share your story, you somehow do your part in lessening scam cases. You help identify scammers and warn others about them. You also need to warn your family and friends so they won’t be victimized as well.
Cease Communication.The first thing you need to do is stop communicating with the scammer. Since you don’t have access to them, you have to take the matter to the appropriate authorities.
Report to the Dating Site. You need to report the person who scammed you to the administrator or owner of the dating site so these fraudsters won’t be able to victimize anyone else on the site.
Control the Damage. If you believe somebody has acquired access to your online bank account or telephone banking account, or somehow got hold of your credit card details, you need to immediately contact your bank or credit union so your account/s can be suspended.
File a Complaint. There is a need for you to file an official complaint with the police or other appropriate law enforcement authorities in your country. While the chance of getting your money back is slim, there is a possibility for your scammer to be jailed.
Provide Evidence. You have to provide all the necessary information about the scam, the scammer, and the details of your interaction. The more information you provide, the better the chances of catching the scammer.
When you decide to try online dating, you have to be very vigilant because prevention is better than cure. The Internet is full of fraudsters and you have to learn how spot them. Just like in face-to-face dates, singles try their best to look and sound good. Online daters have the advantage of making themselves seem a lot better than they really are because you can’t actually see them. Scammers are smart and patient. They certainly know how to tickle their victim’s emotions. They always know what to say and when to say it. Always trust your gut and if something sounds wrong or too perfect, ask questions. You can spot a scammer if they give you vague answers or avoid your questions.
A legitimate dating community you can sign up to is CebuHeart.com. To avoid scammers, this dating site does background checks, guaranteeing that all members are persons who are genuinely seeking for true love.
If you plan on sending thoughtful gifts to your special someone in Cebu, check out cebuconnections.com. This site offers hassle-free deliveries of your valuable presents. Other services include booking hotel accommodations and verifying and providing copies of bills/payments.