The Cebu Institute of Technology- University (CIT-U), which was formerly known as Cebu Institute of Technology (CIT), is a private, non-sectarian academic institution. It was founded in 1946, by Nicolas G. Escario, Sr.
CIT is the pioneering higher educational institution classified as Category A (t) in the Visayas and Mindanao regions. It is a mature teaching institution, which is one of only 9 schools in the Philippines awarded by the Commission on Higher Education as a Center of Excellence in Information Technology Education.
In 1946, CIT opened with just two pre-fabricated structures and was located at F. Ramos St. An initial 512 students enrolled for both high school and college education. The institute offered a number of Engineering programs (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Chemical), along with Architecture and several vocational programs.
In 1947, the Liberal Arts, which is CIT’s first non-technical program, was offered. In 1948, Pharmacy and Junior Normal programs were opened and in 1949, Education courses were made available. In 1951, the institute phased out its Vocational department and opened the College of Commerce. In 1953, courses under the Sanitary Engineering department were opened. Other programs such as Pre-Medicine and Secretarial were opened in 1957 and 1958, respectively. By 1958, the CIT Founder and President was able to build 8 school buildings, which were now located at C. Padilla St.
In 1960, under the administration of Don Lizares, Sr., the new CIT President, new courses were offered, including the Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering. Pre-Nursing and Doctor of Medicine programs were offered in association with Cebu Velez College. In 1968, CIT began offering the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering program. Don Lizares, Sr., acquired more facilities and a new site for the institute at N. Bacalso Avenue. In 1965, a modern four-storey building was erected to accommodate the college graduating batch of 1971. Gradually, the colleges at C. Padilla were moved to the new site, which became home to CIT’s administrative staff, and the college academic buildings, library, and the laboratories for the engineering and science programs. In 1978, Don Lizares, Sr., engaged in the government’s Educational Project Implementing Task Force, which transformed CIT into a resource-based institution for engineering programs in the VisMin regions. In 1980, CIT was awarded the distinction of being the “Most Outstanding Institution for Learning in Cebu City” during Cebu City’s Charter Day celebration. In 1983, CIT opened the Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering program along with special computer programs under the Department of Computer Studies, followed by the opening of various related degree programs including Information and Computer Science, Computer Management, Computer Technology, and Computer Engineering, and associate certificates.
In 1991, Gregorio L. Escario became the third president of CIT. In 1992, CIT reopened its Elementary Department and offered a pre-school program. In 1999, the Commission on Higher Education permitted CIT to offer the Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program.
CIT continues to improve as an institution, offering more courses, supporting innovative special programs, and receiving a number of awards and recognition. Among its distinctions are CHED’s Center Of Development For Excellence In Information Technology Education in Region VII, the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation awards, PACUCOA award as one of the top 10 institutions nationwide with the most number of programs accredited with major courses, and 2008 Outstanding Institution awarded by the Cebu City Government.
In 2009, CIT was granted by the CHED a deregulated status. In 2010, the institute was granted university status, and after which it was renamed as CIT-University, or CIT-U.
To know more about CIT-U, you can visit their Web site at www.cit.edu. You can also visit their campus at N. Bacalso Avenue, in Cebu City. CIT-U can also be reached through (032) 261-7741 or by facsimile at (032) 261-7743.