- Tita Julie’s Summer SurprisePosted 22 days ago
- 6th Olango ChallengePosted 24 days ago
- 2013 Cebu Horse Congress and FestivalPosted 26 days ago
- La Vossa Fashion Show on April 20Posted 31 days ago
- Break The Silence Run Opens Online RegistrationPosted 43 days ago
- SINGK(U)WENTO INTERNASYONALPosted 64 days ago
- Break the Silence RunPosted 65 days ago
- DigitalFilipino E-commerce SummitPosted 69 days ago
- Visayan Longboarding Trilogy 2013Posted 70 days ago
- Gold’s Gym Cebu Launches Pole DancingPosted 72 days ago
Who would have known that Cebu would make news worldwide because we enjoy putting our dancing shoes on and love to boogie to our hearts’ content?
It all started with the “Thriller” dance performance by over 1,500 male inmates at the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center, which became a Youtube sensation in 2007. As of December 2009, the viral video reported about 37 million viewers. The inmates have performed numerous numbers, including “Sister Act,” “Radio Gaga,” “Together in Electric Dreams,” “Holding Out for a Hero,” and a tribute to Michael Jackson. These performances have not only made the inmates instant celebrities but it has also helped boost Cebu City as a tourist destination. CPDRC inmates now hold monthly performances for local and foreign visitors.
Following the highly buzzed news of Cebu Pacific Air’s dancing ladies, their men show that they too are capable of shaking their booty to the tune of “You Can Dance if You Want To” by Men at Work. The women flight attendants made news by creatively performing their safety reminders to the music of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry.
Most recently, Cebu City was informed that Dancesport Team Cebu City will be featured in the Guiness World Records 2011 edition, page 100. With 7,770 dance sport participants at the Cebu City Sports Center last July 27, 2009, the City was able to bag the record title of the World’s Largest Dance Class.
On top of all these dancing phenomena, the Cebu City Hall must have taken an intense hit. Our tax collectors, now known as the Dancing Tax Collectors of the City Treasurer’s Office, can update their resumes to include hip swinging to their list of skills. Business and property tax payers are entertained by watching the 320 staff members bop to Shakira’s “Waka Waka,” Earth Wind and Fire’s “Boogie Wonderland,” and some Mardi Gras-themed dance routines. Reports say that more taxpayers have been paying their obligations now.
Indeed, with all these dancing gimmicks, Cebu City will be keeping everyone’s attention for a long time.