- Tita Julie’s Summer SurprisePosted 24 days ago
- 6th Olango ChallengePosted 26 days ago
- 2013 Cebu Horse Congress and FestivalPosted 28 days ago
- La Vossa Fashion Show on April 20Posted 33 days ago
- Break The Silence Run Opens Online RegistrationPosted 45 days ago
- SINGK(U)WENTO INTERNASYONALPosted 66 days ago
- Break the Silence RunPosted 66 days ago
- DigitalFilipino E-commerce SummitPosted 70 days ago
- Visayan Longboarding Trilogy 2013Posted 71 days ago
- Gold’s Gym Cebu Launches Pole DancingPosted 73 days ago
The Kumprahan Supermerkado in Bridges Town Square, Mandaue, gives consumers the freshest produce at cheaper prices while helping farmers in Cebu earn more.
The formal opening of the Kumprahan Supermerkado, the first community market in Cebu, was last May 29, 2010. A novel concept, the Kumprahan Supermerkado is a first-of-its-kind market that is situated inside a mall with air-conditioned amenities and rent-free space for farmers. This kind of market is a first in the Visayas and Mindanao.
Farmers can enjoy the fruits of their labor as they are given rent-free space to directly display and sell their produce. In return, the products are sold at prices similar or lower to that of wet markets. By eliminating the middlemen who set the prices of the farmers’ produce themselves, farmers have more control on the prices and get to earn more.
The chief organizer of the Kumprahan Supermerkado, Jonathan Ramos, believes that helping farmers bring their produce closer to the consumers is his shared responsibility. “My family before are traders at the Carbon market and I saw the plight of the farmers. Since the farmers had helped me, I will also help them,” he said.
Providing convenience, security and affordability, the Kumprahan Supermerkado is advantageous to both buyers and farmers.
The Kumprahan Supermerkado is located in Bridges Town Square, Plaridel St., Alang-Alang, Mandaue City. It is open from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.