Located in a scenic mountain barangay in Cebu is Discovery Hills Theme Park & Mountain Haven, which is a nature theme park that caters to educational tours, seminars, retreats, company outings, field trips, hikers, and campers.
If you wish to experience rock climbing, rappelling and cliff hanging, then head out to Discovery Hills. Other park features and amenities include:
- an Insect Museum that displays a collection of indigenous insects and butterflies;
- a Butterfly Garden where live butterflies of different species freely flutter about different food plants;
- the Forest King, which is a project based on Penny Reyes-Velasco’s book entitled “Are You The Forest King?” There are ten exhibit stations, developed by volunteers, that showcase the ten creatures (mushroom, beetle, frog, snake, eagle, young tree, man, seed, tree stump and the hand);
- the Boy Scout Merit Badge, which is an informative exhibit regarding the Boy Scouts of the South East Asian Nations;
- the National Science Teaching Instrumentation Center that hosts an exhibit of NSTIC’s science instruments;
- several South East Asian Pavilions that displays informative artifacts from 10 South East Asia member countries, specifically Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam;
- the Peace Museum displays memorabilia from World War II;
- the United Nations Mini-Park, which provides information regarding the United Nations and their approach to uphold world peace;
- a Geological Display, which showcases different rocks and minerals temporarily mounted on an impressive rock formation; and
- a Starry Night Park, which is an exhibit about the universe, planets, stars, and the moon.
The entrance fee for a regular day visit at Discovery Hills is Php50 per person but they also offer tour and adventure packages. The park does not charge children (maximum of five) below 12 years old sharing a room with their parents. Check-out time is 12 noon.
Three packages are available for groups with a minimum of 10 persons. Package A is at Php360 each, which package includes transfers, activity and safety gears, and a buddy guide. Package B is at Php430 each, with similar inclusions and 2 meals. Package C is at Php580 each, with similar privileges plus 2 meals, 2 breakfast and overnight use of tents.
For groups comprised of more than 20 persons, three packages are available. At Php130 per person, Tour A guests can enjoy a guided tour with welcome drinks and round-trip transfers from Gorordo Avenue, Cebu City. For an additional Php60, Tour B guests can enjoy similar privileges plus one vegetarian meal. For groups who avail of the Discovery Hills Adventure at Php330 person, they will enjoy a guided tour with 3 vegetarian meals, overnight use of tents, and round-trip transfers from Gorordo. The Hidden Bamboo Cottage is available for rent at Php1,200 net, and the Vietnamese Bamboo Cottage is at Php2,500 net.
For inquiries and reservations, you can visit their office at 415 Gorordo Avenue, Brgy. Camputhaw, Cebu City. You can also give them a call at (032)233-8185 or (032)235-8809. You can send them an e-mail message at [email protected] or visit their Web site at www.geocities.ws/discovery_hills.