One thing most of us know about Argao is that it is famous for its Torta and Sikwate. Yet this fact is a given for a true blooded Argawanon. Well, are you? If that's a yes then go over this checklist to see how much you know your home town. If otherwise, all the more that you need to scroll down and get a glimpse of Argao!
1. The town Hall of Argao, Casa Real, is the only clay-tiled Spanish Building left in the entire Cebu. It is also the oldest town hall in the Cebu province.
2. Riverstone Castle , Cebu's only authentic castle, can be found in Argao. Inside the castle, one can see different animals such as rabbits, crocodiles, birds and more. If you feel like being a princess for a day, the castle also have available rooms for overnight stays.
3. One of the largest cave systems in Cebu is located in Argao. The cave is called "Balay sa Agta". The enormous size of the cave was compared to that of a mythical creature called "Agta", thus, the name.
4. Argao celebrates Pitlagong Festival in honor of their patron saint, Michael the Archangel. Pitlagong is a cleaning instrument for Sugong, a bamboo container used to collect tuba.
5. A tree named "Sali-argaw" is abundant in the coastal areas of the town. It circulated that Argao's name was derived from the popular flora.
According to stories, three white men asked a fisherman for the name of the town. The fisherman thought that they were asking for the name of the tree near the shorelines. He answered them: Sa-li-ar-gao! The foreigners believed it was the name of the place.
6. The main entrance from the sea to the pueblo of Argao is Puerto Marina, an archway that also served as the initial defense from the possible invaders of the town. Its neighbor attraction is called Capella Murtuaryo, a stone chapel that was used for funerals in the past.
7. Argao prides of its beaches like Sunshine Beach, Mahawak beach, Looc beach, Kawit beach and Mahayahay Beach or the Looc Garden Beach Resort.
8. Zipline, canopy walk, wall climbing, boating and other outdoor adventures are dirt cheap in Argao Nature Park.
9. Mt. Lantoy, the highest peak in Argao, is believed to be the home of the most beautiful woman Maria Cacao. She owned the largest cocoa tree plantation in the town according to stories.