The search for the Sinulog Festival Queen is an annual competition among the female lead dancers of every contingent. The competition is usually held on the Friday before the Grand Parade, which is scheduled on January 20, 2013.
According to the Sinulog organizers, the Festival Queen is not a beauty pageant. Rather, it aims to recognize the best lead dancer of Cebu’s grandest festival. As stated in their official Web site, the Sinulog Festival Queen is “a search for the Lead Dancer who possesses the most exceptional qualities, both in physical beauty and dancing skills, among her peers.” It is assumed that the artistic directors of these contingents choose their lead dancers not merely on the basis of beauty but also taking into consideration her “ability to interpret the Sinulog dance with rhythm and grace.”
On January 17, 2013 (Thursday), witness the candidates for this year’s Sinulog Festival Queen showcase their beauty and grace in the runway competition at SM City Cebu. There will also be a photo shoot during the said event. The coronation night will be at the Cebu City Sports Center on January 18, 2013 (Friday), at 7:30 p.m.
Apriel D. Smith of the Lumad Basakanun contingent won Festival Queen 2012. The other winners of last year’s competition are:
- 1st runner-up: Nerissa L. Modesto (Pasaka Festival, Tanauan, Leyte)
- 2nd runner-up: Conchitina Cleofe Cloma Yu (Tribu Lingganay, Alang-alang, Leyte)
- 3rd runner-up: Shekina Rose Lasola (Sandurot Festival Dumaguete City)
- 4th runner-up: Angel Lou Pates (Lanao del Norte)
- Best in Sinulog Festival Costume: Apriel D. Smith
- Best Solo Performer: Apriel D. Smith
- Best in Opening Production Number: Shekina Rose Lasola
- Best in Group Performance: Tribu Lingganay, Alang-alang, Leyte
- Miss Photogenic: Danilie Rose Damolo of Bulacao Community School
- Miss PLDT: Apriel D. Smith
- 2012 Shopwise by Rustan’s Queen: Shekina Rose Lasola
- Miss Teletech: Shekina Rose Lasola
- Miss Globe: Shekina Rose Lasola
The Sinulog 2013 prizes and awards have yet to be revealed. Last year’s Festival Queen, however, brought home Php50,000. The 1st Runner-Up won Php30,000 while the 2nd Runner-Up was awarded Php20,000.
Below are the guidelines set by the Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) for the Festival Queen candidates:
The candidate must be the Lead Dancer of her contingent and must participate during the grand parade and the Final Performance. Failure to dance during the Grand Parade and Final Performance at the Cebu City Sports Center will mean automatic disqualification and/or revocation/forfeiture of award.
The candidate must be single. Single unwed mothers are not qualified to join the contest.
The candidate must be between 14 to 24 years old.
The candidate must be of good moral character as certified by her Delegation Head.
The contingent to which a candidate belongs must submit an original copy of the Certification of Guarantee issued by the Sinulog Foundation. Failure to submit said Certification will disqualify the candidate from participating in the search.
Completed Registration Form and Bio-Data (as provided by the Sinulog Foundation Festival Queen 2012 Committee)
1 close-up half-body photo 4R (colored)
1 close-up full-body photo 4R (colored)
Certificate of Good Moral Character signed by Delegation Head.
Certification of Guarantee signed by Delegation Head and City/Town Mayor
Click here for the Competition Requirements.