Every January, the activities and competitions scheduled in anticipation of the Sinulog celebration transforms the city of Cebu into one action-packed community.
Those who are musically-inclined may participate in two competitions, specifically Sinulog Idol 2013 and the Sinulog Choral Competition.
Sinulog Idol is a singing competition that will feature the Queen City of the South’s most promising singers. It is now on its fourth year. Twelve finalists will be selected from hundreds of Cebuano hopefuls to compete for the title of Sinulog Idol 2013 Grand Champion.
There will be nightly elimination rounds, which will run for seven consecutive nights starting on January 11, 2013 (Friday) and culminating on January 17, 2013 (Thursday). The performances, including the Sinulog Idol Grand Finals, will take place at the Fuente Osmeña Circle.
For the Sinulog Choral Competition, the Sinulog Foundation, Inc. (SFI) has set the following guidelines:
- The competition is open to all church-based choir or choral groups here in Cebu.
- An endorsement of the parish priest is required.
- The group must consist of a minimum of twelve (12) to a maximum of twenty-four (24) members with one conductor.
- The group can perform in acapella or with live instruments. The instrumentalists (maximum of two (2) players only) must bring their own instruments. Canned accompaniment is not allowed.
- All participating choral groups must submit a duly accomplished entry form (available at the Sinulog Office) together with a 5R photo of the group. Deadline for submission of entry forms will be on January 4, 2013.
- Elimination round will be on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 9am to 2pm at the Conference Room of Cebu City Sports Complex.
- Only one song of your own choice can be performed during the elimination round.
- The organizer will choose the Top 8 choral groups to compete for the Grand Finals which will be on Sunday, January 13, 2013, 6pm. Venue to be announced.
- Top 8 Grand Finalists will have to perform the following:
- Obligatory Song: Any song about the Sto. Niño (traditional or from the HuNiño album)
- Contestant’s Choice (the Sinulog tune or chant must be incorporated in the presentation)
- Total presentation must not exceed eight (8) minutes.
*The Sto. Niño gozos cannot be used for the contest as it will be the finale song of the competition.
- The judges’ decision is final.
The participants will be judged based on the following criteria:
The winning choir or choral group will bring home a cash prize and the top three will also receive a Sinulog Trophy. Five consolation prizes worth Php5,000 will be given away. All finalists will be awarded plaques of participation.
For inquiries, you can visit the SFI office at the Cebu City Sports Center or give them a call at (032) 254-5010. You may also call Soundtraxx Production Studio at these numbers: (032) 505-9922 or (0922) 280-0567.