Hi Cebu and happy post-International Women's Day! Did you see the Google Doodle last Friday that showed a video of all sorts of women from different industries and different races? Well, that was a representation of how the whole world should celebrate “respect, appreciation, and love towards women” every 8th of March.
This significant worldwide event is annually commemorated every March to remind people of the social, political, and economic achievements of women, no matter what country they come from. It started as a Socialist political event, but now, the International Women's Day or Month is already considered as an official holiday in some countries and even celebrated by wearing blue ribbons. The theme this year is “Equality for Women Is Progress for All”.
In Cebu, the International Women's Day was celebrated by a marathon called All Women Ultra Marathon or AWUM. The race happened last March 8 and 9 from Cebu Provincial Capitol to Brgy. Pilipog, Cordova, Cebu. 2014 is AWUM's 3rd year and this time, it was a strong woman named Mereeis Ramirez who emerged as the victor among 200+ participants.
Aside from the marathon, Cebuanas also get the following treats from Ayala Center Cebu:
- Women Wall – March 8 to 31/ Level 2 (Share why it's great to be a woman to win exciting prizes!)
- “Stylized” Book Signing with Liz Uy – March 21, Friday, 7PM in The Gallery (One of the Philippines' most renowned fashion bloggers and stylist shares her 10 style essentials.)
Last Saturday, on the actual celebration of the International Women's Day, Kapamilya heartthrob Xian Lim also had a show in Ayala Center Cebu's The Terraces to serenade all Cebuanas. Plus, the mall offers a graduation sale on March 14-16 with the following performances!
- Princess Velasco Album Launch on March 14, 6PM at The Terraces
- Nikki Gil Live on March 15, 7PM at The Terraces
- LEGO Fun Day on March 16, 3PM at The Terraces (A LEGO Batman free movie screening that comes with inflatables, arts and crafts, and bubble shows for the kiddie graduates)
- Gadgets and Gizmos Promo from March 14 to 16 (Shop at Ayala to have a chance to win an Acer Iconia, a Lenovo Tablet, or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3!)
SM City Cebu, on the other hand, along with the rest of the country's SM outlets celebrate Women's Month by organizing an event that honors 100 women of power and substance. This campaign and digital exhibit is called Inspire and is a joint effort of SM Supermalls, Project Headshot Clinic, and the Dream Project Philippines. Some of the country's most inspiring women who will grace the event include Irma Adlawan, Cheska Garcia-Kramer, Margie Moran, and Wilma Galvante. To be part of the 100 women who will be featured in this one-of-a-kind event, simply answer the question, “How are you using your power as a woman to inspire change and enable dreams of your own and of others?”, and post it on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with the hashtag #SMProjectInspire. You must also register on Headshot Clinic's official website (www.headshotclinic.com) for your entry to be counted. The deadline of submission of entries will be on March 17, 2014. Find out more information about Inspire by visiting SM Supermalls' official Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/smsupermalls).
May these events complete your celebration of the International Women's Month!