Cebuanos have so much potential in standup comedy. To cultivate this potential and find promising standup comedians, Comedy Cebu will be hosting FREE OPEN MIC SHOWS every Thursday.
From 8:30 PM onwards, everyone is invited to watch and hopefully join the open mic performances at Kukuk’s Nest, Gorordo Ave. Lahug.
Have a great night filled with laughter as everyone aged 16+ regardless of race, creed and gender orientation could enjoy the shows.
GUIDELINES FOR OPEN MIC THURSDAYS
- Directly insulting or making fun of an audience member will not be allowed. Comedy Cebu practices point-of-view/observational comedy.
- Every open mic-er is allowed 5-10 minutes (3 minutes for monthly contests), so participants are encouraged to prepare a tight set.
- English is the preferred language to be used by open mic-ers onstage, but mixed Tagalog/Cebuano-English sets will also be allowed.
- Participants are advised to limit their material from three of the easiest comedy subjects: porn, masturbation and sex. Being “dirty” during sets is definitely not prohibited, but creativity without the heavy push of blue material will be appreciated.
- Swearing or cussing will be allowed, but participant are also encouraged to rely minimally on explicit language so as to make them more resourceful when it comes to material writing and delivery.
Also, on the Thursday night preceding Comedy Cebu’s monthly international guests on the scheduled Friday and Saturday performance nights, the open mic will be considered a contest, to search for the most promising open mic-er to join Comedy Cebu and the international guests as the opening act during the following nights.
FIRST OPEN MIC COMEDY CEBU
Last February 26th, Thursday night, Comedy Cebu successfully welcomed the community to its first ever open mic show, at Kukuk’s Nest Bar and Restaurant along Gorordo Avenue.
Comedy Cebu founder Gary Jackson hosted the event and also shared with the audience the history and objective of Comedy Cebu as Cebu’s first point-of-view stand-up comedy group.
They bring in Filipino and international guest comics from all over the world monthly, to bring world-class comedy entertainment to Cebuanos and to also let the world discover more of Cebu through the experiences of visiting stand-up comedians.
Most comedy establishments and groups in the Philippines practice gay/insult comedy. Comedy Cebu aims to cater a different kind of comedy in Cebu, humor based on life observations and human experiences, which has already been very popular for a long time now in other cities, not only in Asia, but also around the world. Filipino audiences used to only enjoy observational comedy through watching clips of their favorite standup comedians, such as Louis CK, Kevin Hart, Chris Rock, Russell Peters and Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias, on YouTube.
The goal of Comedy Cebu is not only to bring in guest comedians to Cebu but also to cultivate the local appreciation and talent for observational standup comedy.
For any inquiries, contact Iris at 09052487908 or email [email protected]. You can also tweet them @ComedyCebu or message them on Facebook HERE. Comedy Cebu’s regular comedy shows, announcements and radio interviews are also posted up on comedycebu.com.